We Florida Financial, P.O. Box 14548, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33302
Kick those post- holiday blues!
It’s official. The holidays are over. As you take down the tinsel and the ornaments, put away the bone china, wash the linens and adjust to the quiet of a house without fifteen guests, you feel a natural depression. How can you beat these post-holiday blues?
I have a few suggestions:
- Schedule your next trip. Nothing cheers you up more than looking ahead to your next vacation. Whether it’s a family reunion in the Outer Banks or a voyage to the fantastic islands of Japan, planning a new venture will give everyone something to look forward to and get the enthusiasm flowing. And while you plan, don’t forget to check out your We Florida Financial member discounts from Dream Vacations.
- Declutter. Cleaning and decluttering is positive therapeutic. Clearing out old files at work will set the stage for new projects and possibilities. Clearing out old clothes and broken items at home will create space and breathing room. You can also bless others by giving away things you no longer need.
- Sing and dance to happy music. Whether it’s classical sounds, rap from Pitbull or the rhythms of the Wailers, blast the music when you are alone and go to your happy place. I do. Music reduces stress, lessens anxiety and helps with mental sharpness.
- Start a gratitude journal. In a world where we are bombarded daily with negative news and contentious happenings, it helps to focus attention on the positive things in our lives by writing them down in a gratitude journal. The journal itself can be a regular notebook or a store bought dairy. Just the simple habit of reflecting on what we are grateful for can actually lead to a happier, more content life. I am trying it this year and encouraging my children and friends to do the same.
- Start your financial plan for the new year. If the holiday bills are starting to come in and you realize you’ve overdone it, don’t bury your head in the sand. Take a look at how much you’ve spent, divide it by 12 and start saving. If monthly budgeting is a problem, you can make this task easier with We Florida Financial’s online banking budgeting tool. Anyone can do it.
So cheer up. Beat those blues and forge ahead to a spectacular and productive 2019!